Private Luxury Jeep Tour - West Iceland: Whale Bay, Hot Springs and Lava Waterfalls
Our Private Luxury Jeep Tour to West Iceland is great for finding Iceland's hidden treasures and visiting less-traveled parts of West Iceland in luxury. On our luxury tour, you can explore less-crowded areas in West Iceland, admire beautiful waterfalls and hot springs areas, take a ride on Lángjoikull glacier and visit a man-made ice tunnel.
We start our unique luxury journey by driving down the spectacular Hvalfjörður, or whale fjord, which contains the remnants of a former whaling station. The fjord is frequently overlooked by visitors who prefer to take the underwater tunnel between Reykjavik and Akranes. Glymur, Iceland's second-highest waterfall, is located in Hvalfjörður and can only be reached after a three- to four-hour trek. The journey along Hvalfjörður is picturesque and suitable for anyone wishing to escape crowds and explore off-the-beaten-path Icelandic landmarks while enjoying the country's calm atmosphere.
Our Private Luxury Jeep Tour of Hvalfjörður and West Iceland continues to Deildartunguhver, a natural hot springs region. This is one of Iceland's most populous hot spring areas, as well as one of Europe's highest flow hot springs. Its water, which is around 97°C when it emerges, is piped to the towns of Borgarnes and Akranes and used for household heating.
To top the trip with a luxurious experience, we stop by the charming Krauma, a contemporary and nicely located spa where you may choose from a selection of hot tubs, a sauna, and a relaxation room for a genuinely peaceful experience surrounded by Icelandic nature (note that Krauma Spa entrance not included in the tour price).
Following Krauma, we go to Reykholt, a medieval town, and the spectacular nearby waterfalls of Hraunfossar, the lava waterfalls, and Barnafoss, the children's waterfall, both of which you have plenty of time to explore and learn about.
We'll then continue our Private Luxury Jeep Tour across West Iceland to Húsafell, where you may take an optional excursion on Lángjökull, Iceland's second-largest ice cap, and visit an ice tunnel. The Inside the Glacier tours, run by a partner company, take you first on the glacier in a special vehicle, then through a man-made ice tunnel with a tour guide who will teach you about Icelandic glaciers. Please keep in mind that the tour fee does not include the Into the Glacier excursion. The trip lasts around four hours and tickets must be obtained ahead of time. We cannot guarantee availability if the tickets are booked on short notice.
We end our Private Luxury Jeep Tour of West Iceland with a drive back to your accommodation in Reykjavik.
If you join the tour during the winter (September to March), we will try to get a glimpse of the Northern Lights on the way back to Reykjavik if the weather permits.
- Hotel pick-up and drop off
- English speaking guide
- Free Wi-Fi on board our luxury jeep
What's not included
- Optional Into the Glacier Tour. The tour must be booked at least 7 days in advance.
- Entrance to Krauma Spa and geothermal pool.
What do I need to bring
- Warm and waterproof clothing
- Comfortable waterproof walking shoes
- Hats, mittens and scarves
- This is a luxury tour onboard our modified 4x4 jeep, which guarantees a unique experience of Iceland at a slower pace and with your own private guide.
- Pick-up/drop-off from your accommodation in Reykjavik, please confirm at time of booking.
- Pick-up and drop-off are possible from Keflavik Airport or outside Reykjavik metropolitan area, with an additional charge. Please let us know when booking.
- The weather in Iceland can be quite unpredictable. Occasionally, especially during winter, the tour itinerary might be altered if weather and road conditions are unfavorable
- If you take this tour in the winter (November to February), please keep in mind that, due to limited daylight hours in Iceland in the winter, much driving will be done in the dark. While we do our best to make sure you have a great experience of the main attractions, some sites might be visited in dusk or darkness, or even skipped.