Northern Lights Tour (Private jeep tour)
Have you always wanted to experience the Aurora Borealis dance across the night sky? Then our Private Northern Lights Jeep Tour is the ideal option to embark on a hunt for the awe-inspiring lights. Let's hunt some aurora together!
Tour type: Private jeep tour
Duration: 3 hours
Available: September - March
Difficulty level: Very easy
What cause the northern lights?
As we now know, the collision of solar winds with the Earth's magnetic field is what causes the Northern Lights to appear. They occur in the upper atmosphere, where their colors and forms are determined by the altitudes at which they appear and the acceleration of the sun particles.
The Northern Lights, or Norðurljós in Icelandic, are a spectacular show of lights dancing across the night sky, resembling a gigantic fire from a distance, with magnificent flames blazing over the whole sky in continual motion. For millennia, the Northern Lights have captivated people with their vibrant hues and hypnotic movement.
Best time to see northern lights in Iceland
Northern lights in Iceland may be viewed from September through March, and they're among the most breathtaking sights you'll ever see.
It need to be dark to see the Northern Lights.
Best place to see Northern Lights in Iceland
Because the likelihood of seeing the Northern Lights is so variable and dependent on many factors, including weather and cloud coverage, there is no definitive answer to this question.
1. Pick up
We pick you up from your hotel in Reykjavik and drive out of the city to places where light pollution is minimal or nonexistent in order to maximize your chances of seeing the northern lights on our Private Luxury Northern Lights Jeep Tour.
2. Weather and location
Every day, we assess the weather and cloud coverage and drive you to the locations with the highest chances of seeing the Northern Lights. Each trip is ever the same. Northern Light has been spotted on our luxury tours on the Reykjanes Peninsula, on the south coast, and in Thingvellir, just to give you some examples.
In order to make your hunt for northern lights as stress-free as possible, we do all the work for you and drive you to the finest viewing locations.
All you have to do is sit back, relax, and enjoy this luxury northern lights tour while hearing stories about the lights and looking up to the sky to view them.
Our Private Northern Lights Jeep Tour lasts around 3 hours and ends with a return transfer to your Reykjavik hotel.
Know before you go
- This is a luxury tour on board our modified 4x4 jeep, which guarantees a unique experience of Iceland at a slower pace and with your own private guide.
- Pick-up/drop-off from your accommodation in Reykjavik, please confirm at time of booking.
- Pick-up and drop-off are possible from Keflavik Airport or outside Reykjavik metropolitan area, with an additional charge. Please let us know when booking.
- The weather in Iceland can be quite unpredictable. Occasionally, the tour itinerary might be altered if weather and road conditions are unfavorable.
- All driving is done in darkness and no sightseeing is involved.This tour is specifically designed to hunt for northern lights.
- Although we do our best to find the best locations for you to see the lights, Northern Lights sightings can never be fully predicted and are never guaranteed
- If luck is not on our side and we don't get to see the northern lights during the tour, we offer you the chance to take the tour another day or a complimentary visit Iceland's first and only planetarium in Perlan's Wonders of Iceland Museum, where you can see the Árora show and experience the northern lights.
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- English speaking tour guide
- Free Wi-Fi on board the luxury jeep
What do I need to bring
- Warm and waterproof clothing
- Comfortable waterproof walking shoes
- Hats, mittens, and scarves