Northern Lights by Boat
Seeing the Northern Lights at sea is an amazing experience; sailing away from the coastline of Reykjavík and seeing the auroras on the North-Atlantic with the city lights in the background is something you won't forget!
Our expert guide will help you to search for the lights while telling you all about the science, legends and myths that surround this amazing natural phenomenon. There is a speaker system on board so you are welcome to wait inside our cafeteria enjoying a warm drink or watching our own Northern Lights video. When the guide sees the lights, they will announce it on the speaker system so everyone knows to head outside and look up!
Our friendly crew takes photos on every tour that are available to download in the following days at no extra charge. They are also happy to assist with camera settings to give you the best chance of capturing the auroras.
Special Tours Iceland app with 5 languages (English, German, French, Spanish and simplified Chinese) available for Android and Apple. It is available for all clients to download during their tour, with both text and audio information. The app will is as close to an audio guided wildlife adventure as possible
- 2-3 hour Northern Lights by Boat tour
- Experienced guide on every departure
- Warm overalls (also available in children's sizes!)
- Heated indoor seating areas
- Free ticket to try again if nothing is seen on your tour!
- WC's, snack bar & WiFi on board
- Pictures taken on every tour, available to download free of charge
- Friendly crew can assist with photography and camera settings if needed
What's not included
- Food and drink (can be purchased on board)
- Hotel transfers (can be added for an additional cost)
What do I need to bring
We recommend wearing warm clothes & sturdy shoes. Don't forget your camera!
When the northern lights forecast looks good but it is too windy to sail, we will take our customers out for a northern lights tour on a bus - plus a chance to join our boat tour the next available day!
If the tour is cancelled and you have not previously joined a tour, you can exchange your ticket for one of the following options:
- A Whale Watching tour
- Join our Northern Lights Backup Plan - Auroras at Whales of Iceland (plus the chance to keep reschedule your boat tour) - as our reception for more info!
- A full refund
These tours are subject to correct weather conditions. You can always check our website (www.specialtours.is), call us (+354-560-8800), or check with your hotel lobby around 18:00 to see if the tour will operate.